Episode #87: Introducing the @YearsEd Between the Chapters Podcast
This is a cross-over episode to introduce the #InVinoFab podcast community to the @YearsEd podcast -- audiobook readings + book club banter, hosted by Laura Pasquini -- More at: https://25years.opened.ca/
In this Between the Chapters episode, the the 25 Years of Ed Tech, Laura talks with Laura Gibbs, Brenna Clarke Gray, and Caroline Kuhn about Chapter 9: The Learning Management System (LMS). The panel of this episode rejects how the LMS is not “linky” and how closed LMS constrains both the learner and educator from engaging online. But we also caution against how this LMS hub has grown since 2002 in its role for digital teaching and learning for higher ed institutions to also expand into a repository for data collection, learning analytics, and surveillance. Listen to our metaphors and meanderings about the LMS, and what we’ve been thinking about thanks to Martin’s chapter #9 in the 25 Years of Ed Tech book:
- Ed-Tech Specialist Fights Proctorio Lawsuit
- In Defence of Ian Linkletter by Brenna
- Defend Linkletter: https://defend.linkletter.org
- A Teach-In Against Surveillance
- Paulo Freire: the pioneer of critical pedagogy
- Constructivism: Listen to Between the Chapters #
- Surveillance Capitalism
- The Age of Surveillance Capitalism by Shoshana Zuboff
- What did Hannah Arendt really mean by the banality of evil?
- Silvia Federici: Women, Reproduction, and the Construction of Commons
- Jakob Gowell: Syllabus-as-Metaphor
- Opening up the LMS Walled Garden
- Coronavirus Is the Perfect Disaster for ‘Disaster Capitalism’
- The Shock Doctrine by Naomi Klein
- Words for the LMS: cautious care, strategic use, resistance, transparency, awareness
- Where do we put the resources needed to actually use the LMS?
- What are the metaphors should we collect and dissect around teaching & learning?
- Do you think the LMS is a best practice? Or how do you push against that idea?
Be sure to connect and follow the guests of this episode at:
- Laura Gibbs: http://mythfolklore.net/
- Brenna Clarke Gray: https://blog.communityofpraxis.ca/
- Caroline Kuhn: https://carolinekuhn.net/
Do you have thoughts, comments, or questions about this podcast? Send us a message or tweet. Podcast episode art: X-Ray Specs by @visualthinkery is licenced under CC-BY-SA