Episode #69: Supporting Minds Online and Hearts Offline with @MDMillerPHD
For #InVinoFab Ep. 60, we talk to Dr. Michelle Miller about our minds online and how we might need to do a few things offline to deal with teaching, learning, working, and more during the pandemic.
Back in April Laura was joined by Michelle Miller for a conversation for the #InVinoFab podcast to talk about how online teaching, learning, and life looks like. Much of this discussion has a great deal of relevance for where we are as we enter into the 2nd and maybe 3rd wave of COVID-19. We discuss how to deal with finding our productive selves, identifying feelings how our work life has changed, reflecting on going “online” + family/personal impacts, support/needs for moms, how to be less “remote” and the hobbies/reads that bring us joy.
- Ravelry community: connect with EmEm
- Going Online in a Hurry: What to Do and Where to Start - 6 steps for remote instruction
- The Pomodoro Technique - start something for 25 minutes
- Pick 3 Things: What 3 things can you accomplish today?
- Reflection: Journaling (750words.com)
- Make a list (or many) to organize all the things
- TOPcast Podcast: Episode 63: Field Report #1: Making #RemoteTeaching Happen
- How Emotional Labor Affects Women's Careers
- Why Women Are Tired: The Price of Unpaid Emotional Labor
- What is Alt-Ac?
- Going Alt-Ac? How to Begin
- Can a textbook change your life? (Yes! Says Michelle)
- Fifteen must-read classic books on human psychology, and what I’m reading (and writing) next
- Listen: Tom Waits - Come On Up to the House
- We’re Corona Get Through This (Laura’s Spotify playlist)
“When you have a basic imbalance and some things that are just impossible -- no list or system in the world or self-motivation is going to fix that.” ~Michelle on how our workplaces need to help women thrive online with other responsibilities
Post recording blog posts:
- 5 Takeaways From My Covid-19 Remote Teaching - reflections after this remote work
- How to Make Smart Choices About Tech for Your Course
The many books mentioned in this episode:
- Minds Online: Teaching Effectively with Technology by Michelle Miller
- Atomic Habits by James Clear
- The Graduate Student Mess by Leonard Cassuto
- Designing Your Life by Bill Burnett & Dave Evans
- The Outlaw Ocean by Ian Urbina
- How to Hide an Empire by Daniel Immerwahr
To connect with Michelle Miller be sure to follow her on Twitter @MDMillerPHD, check out her scholarship on Academia.edu, and see what she’s writing/reading via her Goodreads author profile. Learn more about Dr. Miller’s work at: https://www.michellemillerphd.com/
In Vino Fabulum! In Wine, Story!
Subscribe to #InVinoFab podcast on Stitcher, Google Play, Spotify, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you catch your pods. Follow us on Twitter @InVinoFab or IG: @invinofab
Email us to be a guest or share a topic suggestion? email@example.com