Episode #61: Onboarding at a New Job & Organization with @Katie__Linder
On #InVinoFab episode no. 61, Laura chats with Katie Linder about what it's like to get started at a new organization and in a new role... as they reflect on their onboarding experiences and suggestions for starting at a new job. You'll learn about work transitions, coaching certification, and being an alternative academic on this episode. Enjoy!
We are thrilled to welcome Dr. Katie Linder to episode no. 61 of the #InVinoFab podcast. Katie is an avid writer and researcher with a passion for process and peeking behind the scenes at what it takes to be a successful academic. She is the creator of the You’ve Got This podcast and blogs weekly at The Academic Creative. Katie’s most recent book is Going Alt-Ac: A Guide to Alternative Academic Careers. Currently, she serves as the executive director for program development at Kansas State University Global Campus. Katie is also a Certified Coach through the International Coach Federation. You can learn more about Katie’s work at: https://www.drkatielinder.com/ and connect with her on Twitter @Katie__Linder.
- Expect to meet with a lot of folks -- meet & greets, team meetings, and/or 1:1s
- Get to know your peers, colleagues, team, and others who you will work with
- Create your own “social network” of who you meet and how you they relate to your team/projects (with pictures to help you remember)
- Establish systems and ways you will work -- your workflow might change, so figure out how you will work at your new job/office/role
- Know your work spaces and opportunities for where you will get the work done, i.e. the physical space in your office, building, etc. where you will get the work done
- Consider how you will sync your personal/work priorities-- consider merging systems or digital methods to optimize/organize your calendar, meeting notes, tasks, and/or events
- Seek out ways to get onboard BEFORE you start AND what you will be learning the first day (orientation), first week, first month, and the first 3 months
- Ask if there is an HR checklist or onboarding task list for who you should be meeting, what you need to learn about, and all the administrative/HR paperwork you need to get started at your new place of employment.
- Hopefully your supervisor/organization will establish ways to learn about the new company/campus, your unit and role, and the projects your team/you will be working on
- Find (or assign, if you’re the boss) an onboarding buddy or mentor to help guide your new employee through their transition process to ask questions, get advice, etc.
- Establish ways you will regularly (weekly) touch base with your supervisor and team -- how will you communicate, check-in, and work?
- Show your super powers at work: Remember that YOU are hired to bring your expertise, talents, and skills to the table (psst… it’s WHY you are the new hire!)
A few ideas shares and resources mentioned on this episode:
- Morning Pages https://juliacameronlive.com/basic-tools/morning-pages/
- Notion https://www.notion.so/
- How Katie automates her planner, meeting notes, & “to do” list YGT, Ep. 180: A Shocking Turn of Events
- The Passion Economy by Adam Davidson https://www.passioneconomy.com/
- Bird by Bird by Anne Lamott
- What is your super power at work? What value do you bring to the office?
- What unique contribution does this person bring to the projects, conversations and meetings they attend?
- What do people come to this person for?
- What would be missing if this person were to leave?
- International Coach Federation https://coachfederation.org/
- Coach Training (program) https://www.drkatielinder.com/training/
- Coach to Coach (podcast) https://www.drkatielinder.com/coach/
- Stash Tea: Chocolate Hazelnut
- Steepologie: https://www.steepologie.com/
- About: Going Alt-Ac https://newbooksnetwork.com/k-linder-et-al-going-alt-ac-a-guide-to-alternative-academic-careers-stylus-publishing-2020/
- LISTEN: Read or Dead (podcast) https://bookriot.com/listen/shows/readordead/
- Other genres of podcast reads from Book Riot https://bookriot.com/